Monday, July 21, 2014

Day 10 Mittersham to Strasbourg 60miles

Dist 60.94miles ride time 4hr57min av speed 12.28 max speed 33.06  alt up 1,628ft 

Today was probably the best so far in terms of cycling and scenery, it rained through the night which meant we stayed in bed longer. 

It was still chucking it down when we packed up and left which made it tricky! We got on the road and the rained stopped within about 1/2 an hour, the conditions were perfect from then, cool, slight tail wind. John seemed much healthier and happier. We hit some good rolling roads outside Mittersham, and a lovely old French lady told us the way to Strasbourg even though we knew from our maps! She was a treat, a real old French Madame.

We descended into Lutzelbourg which was a fab gentle descent over about 2 miles I would guess and dropping nearly 1000ft. From here in the villages and towns were beautiful.

We stopped for lunch in Saverne, a very pretty place with a canal wharf and German looking architecture. John treated us to lunch in a really good restaurant, the nicest place we've eaten.
(Great resturant )

So with John on the mend it was my turn to feel ill! I was just very tired and struggled after lunch today.  

The riding was beautiful, flat and easy all the way to Strasbourg, which was a good job as I was falling asleep in the saddle.
(This woke me up a bit a red backed shrike right next to the tow path, we also saw loads of storks)
(John forgot his vote Ukip banner for the European Parliament) (in jest!)

Strasbourg is amazing one of the best cities I've ever been to, I had to sleep when we got to the hotel though so john went out for a look around and got food. I woke up after a good sleep and have come for a wander myself. 
It was a shame we couldn't look round together, but I had to sleep! I've recently finished possibly the best ice cream I've ever had, they did a banana sorbet! Enough said, a four piece band has turned up and they are playing Johnny cash, they are actually really tight!
(The cathedral by day)
(Strasbourg is ace)

Now I'm amongst a big crowd of tourists waiting for a light show to start on the spectacular cathedral. I won't go on any more but I will include some photos of Strasbourg.
(Ye olde n dat)
(Trams)
(A massive public bidet)


The light show was great fun, 
disneyesque.....but in a good way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment